Languages

Discussion related to the topic Languages

Forum : All About Writing : Languages

JasonT.Johnson
Posted at: Jun 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM 
Please, if you have any tips about creating languages, I'd like to hear. I have no troubles creating symbols to replace sounds, but moreso the different words of the languages.. I have five different languages to make, as my books is based around a linguist prodigy kid.

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 29, 2010 at 4:37 AM 
That's quite an adventurous undertaking! Inventing a language that is consistent and believable is a huge job that takes a lot of attention to detail. I think I read that Tolkien spent several years developing his elvish language for LotR. You might want to consider developing just one to start with. :)

JasonT.Johnson
Posted at: Jun 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM 
Yeah.. I really only need a few words in each language, probably, but I don't know. I've wanted to be a linguist for a few years, and intend to be able to speak Spanish and German at least (aside from English). The book that this is for is a medieval themed story in my own made up world. Unfortunately I lost the notebook that had the begginings of two of my languages. The other I thankfully had in my wallet, because I had all the characters/letters I needed. Really my languages/countries are supposed to be: one similar to human (American), one to Elvish, one to Dwarves, one to human (German) and one similar to a more Mexican/Egyptian culture (human, but the people will have darker skin and a much different lifestyle).
Forum : All About Writing : Languages

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login