Book Titles

Discussion related to the topic Book Titles

Forum : All About Writing : Book Titles

Posted at: May 8, 2010 at 4:49 AM 
Yesterday one of my students was complaining about having to read the book To Kill a Mockingbird. "It doesn't even have anything to do with mockingbirds," he exclaimed.

This got me thinking that sometimes a good book title can really make a book stand out in your memory.

So here are two questions for discussion:

1. What are some book titles that are - for you - quite distinctive and memorable?

2. Can you invent some memorable - maybe funny, maybe serious - book titles of your own?

Posted at: May 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM 
1. I think A Tale of Two Cities is a title that sort of captures your attention and fires the imagination a bit. Also, I think the Harry Potter titles stick well in memory if for no other reason than that many of them are almost perfectly trochaic: HARRy POTTer AND the ORder OF the PHOEnix.

2. Someday I'm going to write a book titled Interrupted by Potato Salad. I have no idea what the book will be about, but that will be the title. :D

Posted at: May 8, 2010 at 1:21 PM 
I love "To Kill a Mockingbird"! That's one of my favorite books of all time, and I think the title is meant to be more metaphorical and evocative than literal - which works well for stories that cover a lot of complex issues at once.

One book title that especially intrigued me before I read it was "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" by C.S. Lewis. I had a hard time figuring out how those three things could be related... of course, I like and understand it even more now that I've read it!

A few more recently-read titles that intrigue me are those that suggest more than they reveal - for example, "The Things They Carried," by Tim O'Brien (though I wouldn't recommend this to anyone below late high school age, just because of the language and violent content). Near the beginning of the book, he writes a segment about all the different things that soldiers in the Viet Nam war had to carry in their packs, and the reasons and purposes for them. That was very interesting and informative, but as the book goes on, and includes deeper stories about the toll that war takes on people, you begin to realize that the soldiers carried a lot more than physical baggage!

Hmmmm... an interesting book title of my own? How about '"Do you guys have a parade permit?" and other amusing stories of life in a big family'

Posted at: Jun 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM 
I think 'And Then There was One' was kindof a cool title. But of course the publishment I read had changed it to 'Ten Little Indians' ... less interesting, but not horrid. And really I don't have any of my own..

Posted at: Jul 4, 2010 at 5:42 AM 
I like that book. :) I believe it was made into both a play and a movie.
Forum : All About Writing : Book Titles

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login