good writer

Discussion related to the topic good writer

Forum : All About Writing : good writer

robin
Posted at: Nov 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM 
do people think that you become a good writer by writing a lot or is it just reading good books or is it some of both reading and writing to help people become a good writers?

Douglas
Posted at: Nov 20, 2009 at 3:11 AM 
I think reading can be helpful, because it lets you see how people put sentences, paragraphs, chapters and stories together...

But there's no substitute for just doing it! That's one of the reasons this site exists - so people have a place to just have fun doing some writing on a regular basis. It's just like playing a musical instrument or a sport...it takes a lot of practice.

Jeff Howe
Posted at: Dec 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM 
Writers are readers. By all means, spend a lot of time reading good writers. It's the only way to get a feel for the rhythm of writing, effective ways to transition between thoughts, and good uses of descriptive text and metaphorical concepts. Also, do some of your own writing on a regular basis and keep the old, even if you don't think it's worthwhile.

Laura
Posted at: Dec 13, 2009 at 4:26 PM 
Yeah, I would agree... reading is necessary for writing, but it is important to write too - even if it's bad! I have a hard time with that. It's a good idea to spend time in thought before writing, but you'll never know completely where something is going until you work it out on paper... well... the computer screen.

Mathax
Posted at: Dec 13, 2009 at 5:17 PM 
but it is important to write too - even if it's bad! I have a hard time with that.

I have a hard time too
Forum : All About Writing : good writer

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login