The New Sidebar

Discussion related to the topic The New Sidebar

Forum : Bugs and Site Issues : The New Sidebar

Sylvan Sylph
Posted at: Apr 26, 2008 at 9:49 PM 
I'm afraid I really don't like the new sidebar feature. To be honest my first reaction was, "What on earth is that? It doesn't go with the site layout at all!" I also don't find it very useful. I can see the featured selection very easily by clicking on the gallery page. If anything I'd rather see the recently posted pieces. But my biggest issues are that the blue really doesn't fit with the color scheme in my opinion and I find all the links to be a bit distracting, especially when they are so close to what I'm trying to read. It makes a very comfortable and spacious-feeling design seem rather crowded. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if it was a color that blended better with the color scheme and was set further to the right.

Right now it's the thing that stands out the most on any page, and I really think that the focus should be on the post you are trying to read, not the sidebar. I can pretty much ignore ads after many years of practice, but this is a little overwhelming. It was pretty shocking when I signed on. I hope I'm not giving offense, but this is my initial reaction. I hope you don't mind the feedback. I just wanted to let you know what I thought.

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 2:47 AM 
No, you're not giving offense at all. The blue is probably going to change - I don't like it either, I just grabbed it because it's the default color for the google section.

The main purpose of that section is to encourage people - once they've arrived on the site - to stay on the site. It helps make them aware of other things they can read on the site.

Also, if they're visiting one of your writing pages, it lists some of your writing above the "featured" section, which makes it far more intuitive for them to read more of your writing, rather than just wandering away.

Eventually you'll be able to personalize the sidebar, so when you're logged in it'll show you different things, like your reading list, or newest authors on the site.

And at some point there will be a "Highlight" feature, where you can select up to ten of your pieces that will appear in the sidebar whenever someone is viewing your writing. This will be a way to steer people towards exactly the pieces you want them to read.

That's all future development, of course. I may have it done before I disappear for the summer, or it might not show up until the fall.

Edit to add: obviously this is a work in progress. I just added about 20 pixels to the left of the sidebar, so the writing has roughly equal breathing room on either side.
~Edited by Douglas, Apr 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM

Josiah T.
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 5:28 AM 
Haha, I think I agree with Sylvan Sylph about the Recent Gallery. It was a little shocking to get on and find it there, but I think I'll get used to it.

I do like the way it shows the rest of a members recent writing, tho. Thats neat. And yeah, I don't think the blue goes very well with the rest of the site. :-P

Josiah T.
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 2:29 PM 
Maybe instead of having the feature gallery in the side bar the "my neighbors" page should be there instead. Just a thought.

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 2:37 PM 
when you're logged in it'll show you different things, like your reading list

Josiah T.
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 3:14 PM 
Oh, whoops. I didn't notice it because I didn't have anything in my reading list. :-P

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 3:23 PM 
Eventually

That feature is not implemented yet, so even if you had something in your reading list you wouldn't see it. :)

Josiah T.
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 3:26 PM 
*snorts with laughter* Alright, maybe I should actually read previous posts before posting... *rolls eyes at himself* :-P

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 4:05 PM 
This is why tech support is so expensive. :P ;)

Josiah T.
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 4:19 PM 
No comment.

Sylvan Sylph
Posted at: Apr 27, 2008 at 5:50 PM 
It's a little easier on the eyes now that it's moved over a bit. Did you change the font too? Or am I imagining things? I thought it was in Times New Roman, or whatever the rest of the font on the site is, yesterday. It looks better the way it is. I think once the blue is changed I won't mind it much. I think it might look decent with the color of the dark band behind the tabs as the header. (Is that burgundy? I don't know what to call it.)

I might even learn to like it eventually with all the interesting things it sounds like it's intended to do. :) It would be nice to have something that shows the newest authors.

Mathax
Posted at: Apr 28, 2008 at 4:09 AM 
*Thinks Josiah has to much time on his hands.*

Mathax
Posted at: Apr 28, 2008 at 4:10 AM 
That was weird. I just post something twice.
~Edited by Mathax, Apr 28, 2008 at 4:10 AM

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 28, 2008 at 4:15 AM 
Nope - the only thing I changed was the 20px slide. The color I started with was that dark menu bar color, and it looked fine. I didn't keep it, because I couldn't get the google color to update to match, and as garish as you thought the blue was, it was even worse when it was all brown except for one section. *shudders*

Katie
Posted at: Apr 28, 2008 at 4:30 AM 
Haha! I actually thought that the new side bar was just more ads from Google, so I ignored it. And for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what you guys were talking about on this thread. *blushes profusely* I've figured it out now though, so there *is* hope for me. ;-)

Josiah T.
Posted at: May 1, 2008 at 8:05 AM 
Maybe the sidebar could show when there's a new post on the forum? Sort of like the one on QP?
Forum : Bugs and Site Issues : The New Sidebar

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login