Writing prompts

Discussion related to the topic Writing prompts

Forum : Bugs and Site Issues : Writing prompts

lostcerebellum
Posted at: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:11 AM 
Why can't we submit more than one post to the writing prompt?

Douglas
Posted at: Dec 11, 2008 at 7:26 AM 
The writing prompt page (that lists all of the submissions to the weekly writing prompt) is the page where new writers to the site are most likely to get their writing noticed. If I let people submit multiple pieces to the prompt, then those new writers could potentially get "swallowed up" by multiple submissions from other authors.

Mathax
Posted at: Dec 11, 2008 at 5:08 PM 
Like Flashtastic today. I went looking and he was on the bottom of the list. is it organized by when the post is submitted?

Douglas
Posted at: Dec 12, 2008 at 4:06 AM 
No, not by date submitted. It is essentially based on the site's popularity ranking algorithm, which helps put the very best pieces at the top. Of course, the popularity ranking is fairly unpredictable for new pieces, so it doesn't work 100%.

Obviously, since the site does some popularity ranking, that means that new writers already have a strike against them in the listing.

If you're interested in meeting the new writers, and maybe giving them a bit of encouragement, periodically scanning down to the bottom of the writing prompt page to see what's there is a good way to do that!
Forum : Bugs and Site Issues : Writing prompts

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login