Poetry Writing Exercise #3: Alliteration

Discussion related to the topic Poetry Writing Exercise #3: Alliteration

Forum : All About Writing : Poetry Writing Exercise #3: Alliteration
Pages:  1   2 

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM 
Let's take a break from meter, for a week. After all, perfect meter does not make a perfect poem!

Alliteration is another tool in the poet's tool kit. Alliteration is the repetition of consonants sounds at the beginning of words.

Here is an example of a poem in which I used alliteration in several lines: Lonely Wanderer

And leaves in layers lie to slowly rot. (L)
That waxed and waned upon the whisp'ring wind. (W)
As I, with graceless gait, trod o'er their ground. (G)
In secret solitude surrounded me. (S)
Her secrets for the solitary soul. (S)

Of course, alliteration can become quite extreme:

"Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers"

In most circumstances, you want your alliteration to be subtle enough that it adds to the flavor of the poem without drawing attention to itself, but for now, let's just have fun with this...

Each day, pick a consonant sound and write a sentence or paragraph that uses that sound as much as possible!

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM 
Here's a piece with lots of alliteration: Timothy and Travis, the Troubled Teenage Tigers

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 5, 2010 at 7:44 PM 
Lemuel the lost lemming loves listening to the liberal literary elite lambaste and lampoon Lewis, Lovecraft and Lawrence.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM 
The love of my life lives lonely in the lane L

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 6, 2010 at 2:04 AM 
Milky mists mask majestic mountains in the morning, muting their magnificence.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 6, 2010 at 3:47 AM 
Her name was Nancy and her neighbor was never normal

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 7, 2010 at 3:25 AM 
If papa places pungent, spicy pickled peppers on your pizza, please pray profusely for providential protection from protracted, problematic pain in your paunch.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 7, 2010 at 3:49 AM 
An alpaca ambled across the Andes after an afternoon of apples and apricots

Laura
Posted at: Jun 7, 2010 at 10:00 AM 
If the greatest lesson in life is love, then learn before you leave.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 8, 2010 at 3:43 AM 
Peter please don't pester Penelope as she plays the piano

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 8, 2010 at 6:28 AM 
I gulped a great gargantuan glass of gross, green goo; I gasped a ghastly gasp, then groaned, let out a gust of gastric gas, and then gave up the ghost.

(this one combines the alliteration exercise with the iambic exercise)

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 9, 2010 at 4:03 AM 
Betty bought berries but bypassed the bananas while Bryan brought bread by chance

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 9, 2010 at 4:42 AM 
Kings and queens quibble over quaint and curious customs conducted by commoners within the confines of the kingdom.

Laura
Posted at: Jun 9, 2010 at 10:04 AM 
I was struck by the strange state of stagnant streams by Stroudwater.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 10, 2010 at 5:07 AM 
Can a Canadian create a capricious cacophony ? This is clearly a case for candid consideration.
~Edited by R. Wesley Lovil, Jun 10, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 10, 2010 at 6:22 AM 
Can a Canadian create a celestial cacophony? This is clearly a case for candid consideration.

Just thought I'd point out, "celestial" isn't alliterative with the rest of it, because even though it starts with a 'C', it doesn't start with the hard C sound. :)

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM 
Pens and pencils are practical paraphernalia for printing profound and pensive perceptions.

R. Wesley Lovil
Posted at: Jun 11, 2010 at 3:44 AM 
"Surely you can see she's a superficial 'Sparkletart, and a show off'," said Sharon, since Silvia was the same she said no.

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM 
Todd Templeton tentatively took a tremendous tumbler of Tabasco, tasted, then tossed back the tangy stuff. Todd Templeton was a tad tipsy.

Douglas
Posted at: Jun 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM 
Mercy me! The moderator is marginally motivated by muses to methodically make and implement a meter exercise!
Pages:  1   2 
Forum : All About Writing : Poetry Writing Exercise #3: Alliteration

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login