Poem In Your Pocket Day

Discussion related to the topic Poem In Your Pocket Day

Forum : All About Writing : Poem In Your Pocket Day

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM 
Did you know that Thursday (April 29th) is Poetry in Your Pocket Day? It's a day to print out and carry around your favorite poem, so you can share it with your co-workers, friends, and family.

You can also share them here. Tell us about your favorite poem, and why it's so special to you!
~Edited by Douglas, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 25, 2010 at 5:41 PM 
Also, I would encourage you to consider posting two favorite poems...one by a "famous" poet, and one that you like from right here on the Fifteen Minutes of Fiction website.

(Note, to post a link to a poem here on the site, look up the ID number of the poem at the top of the page, and then just type [gallery=x], where x is the ID number!)

Laura
Posted at: Apr 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM 
I have so many "favorite poems" and poets, that it's really hard to choose! But I would say that the poem that I've most often referred to as my favorite is Robert Frost's "Acquainted with the Night". He really is able to evoke feelings in a powerful way, and anyone who's ever walked alone at night should be able to identify with the feeling of loneliness, but also solitary satisfaction that can come into play, even though Frost doesn't actually mention those feelings outright.

The "terza rima" rhyme scheme that he uses adds a sense of rhythm and finality to the poem as well. Here's a link to it: http://www.internal.org/Robert_Frost/Acquainted_with_the_Night

I'll try and come up with a favorite FMoF poem too, but that might take a little longer!
~Edited by Laura, Apr 26, 2010 at 7:15 AM

Douglas
Posted at: Apr 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM 
Okay, I wouldn't call either of these "favorites", but they are poems I was shown recently that I really enjoy:

Another Reason Why I Don't Keep a Gun in the House
by Billy Collins
The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
He is barking the same high, rhythmic bark
that he barks every time they leave the house.
They must switch him on on their way out.

The neighbors' dog will not stop barking.
I close all the windows in the house
and put on a Beethoven symphony full blast
but I can still hear him muffled under the music,
barking, barking, barking,

and now I can see him sitting in the orchestra,
his head raised confidently as if Beethoven
had included a part for barking dog.

When the record finally ends he is still barking,
sitting there in the oboe section barking,
his eyes fixed on the conductor who is
entreating him with his baton

while the other musicians listen in respectful
silence to the famous barking dog solo,
that endless coda that first established
Beethoven as an innovative genius.

I love how simple this is...you don't need to have any sort of degree in literary criticism or anything like that to understand it, and if you know the music of Beethoven, you also know that Collins is making just a little bit of fun of him, saying that all of his symphonies sound like barking dogs at the end. A very clever poem.

Here's the other, by the same author:

Introduction to Poetry
by Billy Collins
I ask them to take a poem
and hold it up to the light
like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to waterski
across the surface of a poem
waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
is tie the poem to a chair with rope
and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
to find out what it really means.

This poem talks about the different ways that people view poetry, and interact with it. One of the things that I like about Collins' poetry is that you don't have to fumble around in the dark for very long before you find the light switch. :)
Forum : All About Writing : Poem In Your Pocket Day

News!    Writing Prompt    My Assignment    FAQ    Contact    Privacy Policy    Search     Terms of Use     Login